The two Mason alums from Alexandria, Va., were voted the favorite couple in the Mason Sweetheart 16  contest.
“We are in absolute awe and humbled beyond imaginable!” says May about the victory. “I think what is most unfathomable is not that we won, but all the love and support from our friends and family that made this even possible. We are so grateful for all their efforts! They are our angels!”
This was the first time the contest was held, and it featured, as the name suggests, the stories of 16 couples whose relationships were somehow connected to Mason. More than 13,000 votes were cast over three rounds of voting.
The Quigleys met while both were members of the Catholic Campus Ministry . To get her attention, Daniel would purposely bump May, the cantor at St. Robert Bellarmine Chapel, as she walked by him on her way to the front of the chapel to lead songs during mass.
As for advice to other members of the Mason community looking for love, “stop looking,” says May. “Love can’t be sought after; love is created. For us, love came to us in the most vulnerable, yet unexpected of places. Call it God, fate, or destiny, but there is a plan out there for you.”
For the couple’s victory goes lots of free spoils, including a two-night stay at the Mason Inn over Homecoming weekend, a romantic welcome package containing chocolate-covered strawberries and a sparkling beverage, breakfast, a romantic dinner, and two VIP tickets to the men’s Homecoming basketball game.
Also, expect to see the couple taking part in the Homecoming parade on Saturday, February 5.
As for Homecoming , here is a rundown of what’s on tap:
* The Magic of Mason, Monday, January 31, at noon, Johnson Center Atrium
Mason’s Homecoming Pep Rally features student performances, special appearances, games and prizes.
* We Are Off to See the Majesty, Monday, January 31, at 8 p.m., Johnson Center Dewberry Hall
In this pageant, one student will be crowned Mason’s Majesty.
* If I Only Had Some Talent, Tuesday, February 1, at 8 p.m., SUB II Ballroom
Mason students will be lighting up the stage with performances in order to win a cash prize.
* We’re Not in Can-sas Anymor, Wednesday, February 2, at noon, North Plaza
Student teams participate in the annual Can-Struction competition by turning donated nonperishable food into elaborate structures. Donations will be given to a local food bank.
* 5th Annual Alumni Beer Tasting Featuring Dogfish Head beer, Thursday, February 3, at 7 p.m., George’s in the Johnson Center.
This tasting was recently added as the one scheduled from Friday, February 4, is already full. Register here .
* Oz Fest, Friday, February 4, at 9 p.m., SUB II Ballroom
Students party it up at the annual semiformal Homecoming Dance.
* Annual Homecoming Parade, Saturday, February 5, at 10 a.m., Patriot Circle
Mason’s community brings the Homecoming celebration to the streets to prepare for the men’s basketball game against Old Dominion.
* Annual Block Party, Saturday, February 5, at 10 a.m., Parking Lot A
Reserve your tailgating spot now at Mason’s 13th annual Homecoming Pregame Block Party.
* Men’s basketball game vs. Old Dominion, Saturday, Feb. 5, at 2 p.m., Patriot Center