Fairfax Campus

Arlington Campus


  The Mason Spirit

Celebrating 30 Years

The Innovative University for the Information Society

In 1958, the Town (now City) of Fairfax purchased 150 acres and donated them to George Mason College. In 1963, ground was broken on the new Fairfax Campus for the college's first four buildings. Today, the Fairfax Campus of George Mason University consists of 677 acres and approximately 100 buildings. An additional academic building equipped with state-of-the-art instructional technology facilities is slated for completion in 2003.

In 1979, the International School of Law merged with the university to create the George Mason University School of Law. Once housed in the former Kann's department store building in Arlington, the Law School celebrated its 20th anniversary in 1999 with the completion of a new $18-million facility.

In 1997, George Mason opened its 124-acre Prince William Campus in Manassas. With state-of-the-art facilities for research in the biosciences, the campus also features the 110,000-square-foot Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center. Future plans include 12 to 14 more buildings serving 8,000 students.

1972: Mason separates from UVA, becoming George Mason University.
1977: First on-campus housing - 400 students move in.
1979: Doctoral status granted; School of Law acquired.
1982: Ground is broken for the Patriot Center.
1986: Mason economist James Buchanan receives Virginia's first Nobel Prize.
1990: Concert Hall opens; Center for the Arts kicks off first season.
1992: Mason expands programming into Prince William County.
1996: George W. Johnson Center opens.
1997: Prince William Campus is dedicated.
1999: New building in Arlington dedicated.